Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Goal

My goal with creating this blog is to create a compendium of quick dinners. My husband and I both work full time and before having our son, when time was no issue, we loved to cook. We still love to cook, but the ability to spend 2 hours in the kitchen after work or an entire day cooking one meal on the weekend just isn't feasible anymore.

Over the last year and a half I have started gathering recipes, techniques and modifying existing recipes in an effort to provide good tasting yet quick dinners for my family. These come in all forms, truly quick - under 30 minutes start to finish dinners, slow cooker recipes, meals that may take longer to cook, but generate many meals later, etc. A recipe that is toddler friendly is a particular bonus. I am not going to put limitations on the recipes and techniques other than "it worked for us".

I have taken the recipes from many sources and where applicable will provide references and links. My hope is that others will find this valuable and will also consider contributing their own recipes and techniques.

I find it important to have a well stocked freezer and pantry for most of these recipes. We buy meat, fish and poultry in bulk and freeze. I have no qualms about using some prepackaged foods, but I really do try to limit it or seek other options. But in some cases, say canned beans, the other option of preparing dried beans, just isn't always feasible. And as many with toddlers will tell you, when only chicken nuggets and rice pilaf from a box are acceptable, you will do it. For us, this frees up a night where I can quickly sear a tuna filet, slice it up on salad and make a wasabi dressing to go over the top. Something that not only would my toddler not touch with a 10 foot pole, but something I wouldn't necessarily want him to eat either due to the mercury issues. I avoid trans fatty acids, foods high in sodium, and prefer fresh whenever possible. Many meals will reflect this... others... well they just work. No apologies.

I hope you will comment and if possible contribute. Because my repertoire is limited, I will probably seek co-authors both for more selection and because you will get bored of just me... fast. Oh and I hope to find a better name soon!

Thanks for reading!

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Kacey said...

oh I would love to send some ideas for this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home