Friday, April 28, 2006

Mexican Bean and Corn Casserole

I have been a vegetarian for 14 years. I have learned a lot about cooking over the years but the biggest challenge was once I had kids. I am raising both of my boys as veggies also. This recipe comes from one of my favorite family vegetarian cookbooks.

Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. There are many many great recipes in this book. This is one of our favorites.

1 cup pinto beans (I use canned to make is easier)

1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 red or green pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped zucchini
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
3 cups water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or butter
1 cup polenta
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese

Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, salt, and garlic; saute until soft.
Add pepper, zucchini, cumin and oregano; saute 5 more minutes.
Add cooked beans to the vegetables with tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water. Check taste and add salt if necessary.

In a separate pot, bring 3 cups water to boil. Add salt and oil. Slowly add polenta, stirring continuously with a whisk. Lower heat and continue stirring in a clockwise motion with a wooden spoon for 10-15 minutes until mixture can hold the spoon upright on its own. Preheat oven to 350 F. In a lightly oiled casserole dish, spread the bean and vegetable mixture across the bottom. Spread the polenta on top. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes at 350F; remove cover and bake 5 minutes more at 400F.

Preparation time: 40 minutes for casserole if using canned beans.

For Babies 6 months and older:
Reserve some of the zucchini; steam and puree.

Variation for Children:
Serve the bean - vegetable part of the casserole in a bowl and cut some strips of polenta to use as dippers.


**side note - I have altered this and used extra things I had in my fridge like summer squash, spinach, peppers and onions.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Nuclear Mom said...

This looks great. I even think I have everything to make this in my kitchen. Leif is really into dipping right now. Of course he licks off whatever the dip is from the chip/tortilla.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home