Thursday, April 27, 2006

Ravioli with tomatoes, white beans and escarole

I am constantly looking for good vegetarian meals. No, we aren't vegetarian. I was in college, until I met AB. Now I admit, I love a good cut of meat. But I still maintain a goal to prove to AB that there are good non-meat dishes out there. This is one of them. I like this because it incorporates beans (which I love) and spinach (which I substitute for the escarole). Of course you can use whatever kind of ravioli you want - meat filled works just fine.

Source: Health Magazine, December 2004

Ravioli with tomatoes, white beans and escarole
Prep: 8 minutes, Cook: 12 mins

1 9oz pachage of fresh four cheese ravioli
1 15oz can of Great Northern or Navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t dried oregano
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
6 cups chopped escarole or spinach
1/4 c water
1/4 c grated asiago cheese (or parmesan)

Cook pasta according to packate.

Combine the beans, tomatoes, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir in the escarole (or spinach). Cover and reduve heat and simmer 3 minutes or until escarole is wilted. Stir in pasta and 1/4 c water. Cook until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese.

Serving Size: 1 cup

(329 calories, 7g fat, 19 g protein, 49 g carbs 11 g fiber)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home