Friday, May 26, 2006

Halibut poached in olive oil

This recipe is my tribute to Harold winning Top Chef the other night. He is my cooking hero (plus, he is hot). And I so want to go eat in his restaurant after it opens. One of his winning courses featured bass poached in olive oil. I was so thrilled because not only did I know how to make this, but it is one of my favorite ways to cook dense fish. It comes out so moist you don't need a sauce (although I prefer sauces with my fish typically.)

When I first saw this preparation I was skeptical. I thought it would be greasy and basically just "fish and chips" style fish, without the breading on the fish. But it is so much more than that.

Halibut (or other dense fish like bass or even tuna)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 350F. Find a dish that closely matches the size of the fish fillets you have. I usually cook two fillets in a small about 3" x 9" ceramic dish that is about 3" deep. Season the fish well with salt and pepper. Place the fillets in the dish flat and cover in olive oil. Place in oven and bake about 40 minutes or until fish flakes when pricked with a fork. Drain off the olive oil and re-season with salt and pepper. (Harold got dinged for this on the Top Chef finale, as one of the judges said, "everyone knows that if you cook fish in fat you have to reseason it"... well I learned something new last night.)

Serve with your choice of sauce, or without.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home